Alan Caig Wilson
MA(Hons) Psychology St Andrews.
MFA (with Distinction) Theatre Directing Birkbeck University of London
Adv Dip Drama (with Merit) (Royal) Welsh College of Music & Drama
- Awarded: HTV Prize
Cert d’Etudes Ecole Jacques Lecoq, Paris
Cert IFF International Feldenkrais Federation: Berlin 1
Prince2 Professional project management tool
FGUK Member of The Feldenkrais Guild of the UK
Equity Full member since 1987 as an actor, Director’s register since 2005
DBS enhanced disclosure (England & Wales)
Directing/Producing in theatre, opera:
- Rowan Tree Theatre Company, Scottish Borders -director and producer
- Net Curtains Theatre Company, London – Associate Artistic Director
- Southwark Playhouse, London – Resident Assistant Artistic Director
- Freelance projects: Speakeasy Theatre Projects (Edinburgh), Kellertheater Innsbruck(Austria), Highland Festival (Scotland), Schlossfestspiele Zwingenberg(Germany), Chieko Okabe-Silvaste Opera Tour (Japan), The Silent Foundation (Scotland), Stellar Quines (Scotland), Paragon Ensemble (Scotland), Scottish Early Music Ensemble, Theatre Workshop Edinburgh, RSAMD Glasgow (now RCS), Nilsia Summer Festival (Finland), Varkaus Kirkauden(Finland), Emergency Exit Arts (London), Trinity Laban, Borders Book Festival, Wigtown Book Festival
- The Scottish Mime Forum – Chair and CoProducer 1992-1998 – thinktank for the development of Mime and Physical Theatre in Scotland. Co-Created the first visit of Odin Teatret to Scotland. Produced Pete Brooks residency at Traverse Theatre. Hosted Physical Theatre conference at Traverse Theatre, featuring Theatre de Complicite masterclass.
- Speakeasy Theatre Projects: Fringe First Winner How to Kill (Angus Reid), Capital Award Winner: The Trouble With The Dead (Angus Reid) – director
- Stellar Quines Theatre Company: CATS Award for Best New Play The Unconquered (Torben Betts) – co-director
Dundee Rep, Royal Lyceum Edinburgh, Northumberland Theatre Co, STV, BBC, Yorkshire Actors Co, Cambridge Experimental Theatre, David Glass/Scottish Chamber Orch, Besser-Leben.com, IDEOMS, Rowan Tree TC, Nilsia Summer Festival (Finland).
Helen Chadwick Group PaxPazPaixPeace tour (2006), Ockhams Razor Not Until We Are Lost tour 2015/16 (comp. Graham Fitkin), VoiceLab Swell (dir Mary King), Crouch End Festival Chorus (dir David Temple), Aldeburgh Voices (dir Ben Parry), Cadenza Edinburgh (dir Jenny Sumerling).
Teaching/Training in Movement & Theatre:
- 1992-1996 tutor in Movement and Mime at Queen Margaret College, Edinburgh
- 2001 – 2012 tutor in The Feldenkrais Method at London Contemporary Dance School.
- 2001 – 2003 senior tutor in Animal Studies & Laban at the Oxford School of Drama.
- 2001 – 2004 visiting tutor in Mime at Guildford School of Acting.
- 2003 (Illness cover) – tutor in Animal Studies, Laban, Lecoq techniques at Guildhall School of Music and Drama
- 2006 – 2012 visiting tutor in Feldenkrais for the Polish Institute for Choreotherapy.
- 2006 – 2017 regular open classes and workshops in the East of England
Pedagogy in Specialised & Applied Learning Environments:
- Architecture & Movement Exploration – Mackintosh School of Architecture(Glasgow), Strathclyde University(Glasgow), Newcastle College, University of Innsbruck(Austria).
- Creating Verbatim Performance in a Community Setting – performance project at RSAMD (now RCS) Glasgow – working with students of Contemporary Theatre Practice.
- Lothian Regional Council HIV and Sexual Health Awareness Team – using ice-breaking, team-building and encounter techniques to improve awareness amongst groups of teenagers in schools settings.
- Aria/Movement/Emotion -Valamo International Opera Summerschool, Finland.
- The BodyThink Process – Poznan 2013 – 2015 – certification programme for teachers, therapists, dance therapists, movement educators and performers.
- Creative Partnerships – working with students and teachers (8 – 18 yrs) to develop an Arts-based curriculum – East of England 2007-2011. Working in partnership with film-makers, story-tellers, wood-workers and scientists.
- Imaging History– 2014 – ongoing. Creative Director of a UK National programme of workshops in Creative Writing and History for teenagers. Exploring ways of connecting young minds to their historical environment. Affiliated to The Young Walter Scott Prize, of which I am also Director.
- Workshops in The Feldenkrais Method® – offered to the public exploring specific aspects of human movement, thinking and satisfaction. Since 1999